Main Logo
Brent Fischer, Director
Bruce Rauner, Governor
Agency Information
Frequently Asked Questions
New Administrator
Out of State Trained
Training Information
A to Z Index
Contact Us
CIT Training Information
Search Illinois
Frequently Asked Questions....

Sections: General Information | Training | POWER Test
Waivers | Firearms | Personnel Roster |
Out-Of-State Transfer |
Auxiliary Officers |
Lead Homicide Investigator Waiver

General Information
How do I get information regarding employment of a law enforcement or correctional officer?
Request information through a written Freedom of Information request. More information is available on the FOIA page.
How do I get verification of my own certification as a law enforcement or correctional officer?
This may be accomplished in one of two ways:

1) Contact the academy in which you successfully completed the course. The contact number for each academy is found under the "Training Information" link. They will by letter respond to your request.

2) Contact this Board by letter indicating the officer's name, PTB ID and a full mailing address for a response. The letter must be dated and have a printed and signed signature of the applicant. These requests may be faxed or mailed U.S. Post.

Be advised that we will not forward such information to anyone but the officer (individual) making the inquiry. This information cannot be forwarded to a prospective employer, university or community college (for college credits).
How do I file a complaint against an officer or a law enforcement agency?
The Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board does not have jurisdiction in such matters and, therefore, cannot take or assist with such a complaint.
How do I notify the Board that I think a law enforcement agency is not complying with the Illinois Police Training Act?
Write a letter to the Executive Director's attention informing the Board of why you think the agency is not in compliance.
How do I know if a class/course is reimbursable?
The certified classes are listed in the State of Illinois Training Schedule of Board Certified Courses. The training Schedule is replaced approximately every six months. The classes without an asterisk (*) are eligible for reimbursement if funds are available.
How does a police department file a reimbursement claim?
The department must complete and submit the claim form promptly after the class ends. The directions are included when a form is downloaded. The Board's fiscal year is from 7/01 to 6/30 of any year. The claim form must be submitted before July 15 of that year. See the next question for the forms required for reimbursement.
What reimbursement form do I complete?
Three different reimbursement forms may be found online.

The Basic Reimbursement form must be used for basic law enforcement or correction training when an employee becomes a full-time law enforcement officer or a full- time county correctional officer.

The Part-Time Basic Reimbursement form must be used when an employee becomes a part-time officer.

A Non-Basic Reimbursement form must be used for all other certified and reimbursable (non-asterisk*)
training listed in the State of Illinois Training Schedule of Board Certified Classes.
When will I get my reimbursement
The Basic Courses may be reimbursed periodically throughout the fiscal year. Non-Basic Courses are reimbursed after the fiscal year deadline (July 15 each year). The Departments usually receive their reimbursements in the third and fourth week of August.
What happens if I submit the claim late?
It is denied. The Board is an agency of the State of Illinois, as such, we cannot pay a reimbursement after the close of the fiscal year. The denied agency may then file the claim with The Court of Claims for determination.
What is eligible for Part-Time Basic reimbursement?
Part-time training is only eligible for tuition and power exam reimbursement. Salary, meals, and travel expenses are not eligible for part-time training reimbursement.
I paid for my part-time basic training. Will the Board reimburse me for my tuition?
No. An officer cannot pay for his/her training. Only units of government can pay or send an officer to training, only units of government can be reimbursed for training.
P.O.W.E.R. Test
Has the POWER Test changed since implementation?
No. Click here for current POWER test information.
Since there is no testing information for age range above 59 years old, what do I do for this person?
Test them on the same level as the 59 year old.
What is the policy on retaking the POWER test?
In the event that a recruit officer fails to perform at the established minimum level in one or more of the four assessment areas, then he or she may not be admitted to the academy. A recruit may be given one additional retake, no more than 72 hours from the time of the initial POWER test administration. The retest consists of the failed assessment area(s) only.
Is there a specific sequence for the four assessments in the POWER test?
Yes, the order is Sit & Reach Test, 1 Minute Sit Ups Test, 1 Repetition Maximum Bench Press, and the 1.5 mile run
Who and what is the Pre-POWER test?
A Pre-POWER Test is given by Board approved assessors (check with your local mobile team unit). After passing all assessment areas prior to entering the academy, an academy may still ask the recruit officer to retest. However, passage of the recruit's Pre-POWER test allows the recruit to enter the full basic training academy.
How long is the Pre-POWER test and physical exam good for?
Pre-POWER: 45 days, Physical Exam: 60 days
Is the POWER Test part of the hiring or selection process for an agency?
No, it is not a hiring or selection standard.
How do you measure the Sit & Reach Test?
Subject sits on the floor or mat with legs extended at right angles to a taped line on a box. The heels touch the near edge of the box and are eight inches apart. The subject reaches forward in one smooth motion with both hands overlapped knuckle upon knuckle, middle finger over middle finger, as far as possible moving the slide forward. The distance reached on the scale by the fingertips in inches is recorded. The best of three trials is considered as the flexibility score.
What is the length of time out of law enforcement before an officer has to re-take the academy?
Board policy directs that if an Illinois basic trained officer has been out of law enforcement for three years or more, the Board will redirect that he/she complete the "40 Hour Law for Police or Illinois Law Review" course. If an officer has not worked in the capacity of a law enforcement /correctional officer for an extended amount of time, upon receipt of the waiver application it is at the discretion of the Board's Executive Director to apply any and all requirements deemed necessary.
Why does a law enforcement agency have to file a waiver application for a full-time officer moving into a part-time position within the same agency?
The Illinois Police Training Act indicates a waiver or training is required for employment purposes, when moving an officer to a new classification of employment a new waiver and Form E must be filed for that new position. The requirement also applies if you are moving an officer into any other sworn capacity, such as court security, corrections, etc.
Why file a waiver application on an officer who has basic training and is moving from another agency?
The Illinois Police Training Act stipulates that an officer upon employment must complete basic training with-in the first six months of his/her hire date. The waiver application filed on behalf of the officer by his new employing agency is seeking a waiver of that training responsibility due to previous training. Since officers are not licensed a waiver must be filed for each employment.

You do, however, have the option, and may send the officer back through a basic training academy.
If I have officers qualify using another agency's range, do I need to report that agency's name on the Firearms Roster?
No. There is a column for "qualified at another agency", however, this is only for officers who have provided documentation that they have previously fired at another agency prior to coming to work for your agency.
When is the Firearms Roster due?
All departments must report their annual qualification dates for each officer by December 31st of each year. Agencies submitting their qualifications electronically can submit their roster anytime throughout the year as qualifications are being completed, but must submit a complete roster by December 31st.

Departments that submit their firearms/personnel roster on paper receive their roster twice a year; once in January and once in July. The qualifications recorded in July will be a reflection of qualifications that occurred during the first six months of the year. The dates reported in January will be a reflection of the qualifications that occurred during the last six months of the year. Departments may qualify an officer as many times as they wish, but the Training Board only requires a department to submit one date for each officer.
What are the minimum standards for annual firearms qualification of active law enforcement officers?
The minimum standards are provided in the administrative rules for annual firearms qualification of active law enforcement officers. This is recorded annually on the agency personnel paper roster or through EDI.
If we qualify more than once a year, do we need to continue sending in paperwork to the Training Board?
No. The State Mandate only requires you to report all officers qualification dates once a year. Example: If an officer qualifies in April 10 and again in October 10, you may use either of those dates.
How do I report our firearms qualifications if they differ from the State requirements?
Staple a copy of your department requirements to the Firearms Roster. If you use EDI, then mail the requirements in stating that you are an EDI user. The Board Office will review your qualifications and send you approval status. This is only required to be on file once.
When is the 4 hour firearms training course applicable?
 The 4 Hour Firearms Training Course is assigned through the waiver process only. Example: out-of-state trained law enforcement officers; some county correctional officers previously trained by IDOC; Grandfathered law enforcement officers who did not receive the mandated firearms training prior to 1970.
Personnel Roster
Can I send Notice of Appointments in at the same time I send in my roster if I notice changes need to be made?
Yes. This is the best time to ensure your roster is accurate. Any changes in name or employment status, that isn't reflected on the roster when you receive it, MUST have a Form E, Notice of Appointment filed with this Board in order for these changes to be implemented.
Who is authorized to sign the paper Personnel Rosters?
The chief, mayor, village president, or, in case none are available, an interim Chief. Should an interim chief be in position a Form E, Notice of Appointment, must be on filed and signed by the Mayor or Village President indicating that classification.
Who is authorized to digitally sign electronic Personnel Rosters?
During the EDI registration process, the chief, mayor or village president may delegate any current employee by completing an EDI application and signing the "Executive Approval" section. More registration information regarding EDI is available here.
Do I need to report Correctional and Court Security Officers' part-time hours?
No. This is only required for part-time law enforcement officers.
Can I fax a copy of the roster if I am late sending it in?
No. The roster isn't considered a legal document unless signed and submitted with the original inked signature. You can submit the roster via fax in order to show information has been completed. However, you must still mail the original roster.
Out-Of-State Transfer
How do I proceed as an Out-of-state officer?
Officers must FIRST be employed with an Illinois Law Enforcement agency. That employing agency will make an application through the waiver process. Illinois reciprocity will be applied once the application has been reviewed and verification of training and employment has been validated with the training post. Applicant must also have held employment full time for a minimum of 6 months. The employing agency will be notified by letter from this Board of the reciprocity requirements and the time frame for completion.
What are the Reciprocity Requirements?
Our web-site sets out the requirements for those officers moving in from out of state. Those requirements are as follows:

1) Illinois Mandatory Firearms (40 hrs). An Abbreviated Mandatory Firearms Course of 4 Hours may be offered for those who qualify.
2) Illinois Law for Police or Illinois Law Review Course (40 hrs.) This course is offered through the local Mobile Team Units (In-service providers) or on-line. Instructions for this course will be outlined in a letter to the employer.
3) Equivalency Exam (200 question, multiple choice) 3.5 hours for completion.

Once reciprocity has been met, may the officer hold either a full-time or part-time position?
Yes. An officer may move between both positions without having to re-qualify.
If moving to another agency, must the requirements be challenged again?
No. Once reciprocity has been successfully completed it will not be set again. A move to a new agency will require another waiver application but the application will be approved due to prior approval and completion of the requirements.
Is Out-of State Correctional Training recognized for a lateral transfer?
No. Each state specializes in this field of training, therefore we require full correctional training.
Can an individual (or sworn officer) pay his own way through a training course?
No. There are no provisions for anyone other than an employing agency to enroll or pay for any course of training offered through this Board.
Auxiliary Officers
Where can I get more information about auxiliary officers and/or an auxiliary police force?
Auxiliary officer information is available on the Mandates section of our web site.
Lead Homicide Investigator Training
What are the Lead Homicide Investigator courses?
• The Board has certified 7 courses as Lead Homicide Investigator courses:
i. Lead Homicide Investigator – 03 (06/11)
ii. Lead Homicide Investigator – 10/Clark (06/11)
iii. Lead Homicide Investigator – 10/PATC (06/11)
iv. Lead Homicide Investigator – 12/IPTM (06/11)
v. Lead Homicide Investigator – W-Z (06/11)
vi. Lead Homicide Investigator – NWPA/SPI (06/11)
vii. Lead Homicide Investigator – 16 (06-12)

• Each course can be offered by either an MTU or a Basic Law Enforcement academy but only Board-certified courses offered AFTER June 2nd, 2011 meet the standard for certification.

Can an out-of-state officer attend a Lead Homicide Investigator course or apply for a waiver of training?
No, only active Illinois police officers are eligible to be certified as a Lead Homicide Investigator.
If I've taken a 40-hour Homicide course prior to June 2nd, 2011, do I need to re-take the new Lead Homicide Investigator course?
Maybe. Your department can apply for a waiver based upon your prior training and experience. Each waiver will be evaluated individually based upon the length and content of the prior course(s) and the officer's experience – the Board retains the right to approve or deny any waiver application.
Can I take the 40-hour Lead Homicide Investigator course in parts over a period of time?
No, the Board-certified 40-hour Lead Homicide Investigator course must be taken in 5 consecutive days.
Can I attend the Lead Homicide Investigator course or apply for a waiver on my own?
No, the training or the waiver must be requested by the Chief or Sheriff.
What if I attend a Homicide course outside of Illinois?
Your department will need to apply for a waiver based on your training and experience.
Where can a department get the waiver request and application document?
The Lead Homicide Investigator Waiver Request and Application forms can be found on the Board's website. Please do not use the basic training waiver form.
What type of documentation does the Board need for the waiver process?
The agency needs to submit copies of training certificates, course outlines, and any other documentation that demonstrates the course contains the necessary course content outlined in the waiver paperwork.
Can the Lead Homicide Investigator Waiver Request and Application be emailed or faxed into the Board's office?
No, the waiver request and application along with copies of all supporting documents must be mailed into the board
How are the waivers evaluated?
Each waiver will be evaluated individually based upon the length and content of the prior course(s) and the officer's experience – the Board retains the right to approve or deny any waiver application.
How will I know if the waiver has been approved or denied?
Agencies will receive written notice of where the waiver request is approved or denied. The Board cannot accept calls from individual officers
If the Board denies the waiver request, what are my options?
The Board will recommend that the officer attend the Lead Homicide Investigator course which is offered by MTUs or Basic Law Enforcement Academies.
How long is a Lead Homicide Investigator valid?
In order to maintain a current certification, the officer must attend 32 hours of Board-approved lead homicide investigator in-service training over a 4 year period.
Where can I find more information about maintaining my Lead Homicide Investigator certification?
Information on the courses that meet the 32 hour in-service requirement can be found here..
Search IETSB
EDI Info
Part-time Basic Law Enforcement Academy
Illinois Recognized Concealed Carry
ILETSB Executive Institute
Law Enforcement Document Interchange
Copyright © 2010-2015 ILETSB Privacy Information